Monday, July 29, 2013

Maylene Jo Larson: Birth Story


This is a continuation from my last post ... a month ago.... and now my baby is almost 2 months old. Things have been a little crazy around here but I'm getting the hang of things. 

Okay, so to start where I left off... 

The night before our little babe arrived, Clay and I decided to go on our last little outing together, just the two of us.  We chose Texas Roadhouse haha. This place will probably always be our favorite. We worked at Texas Roadhouse back in the day when I was still in high school. It definitely wasn't my favorite job, but we definitely enjoyed the free dinner rolls and discounts. Anywho, it just seemed right to go there. Clay ate himself miserable that night (that's how much we really love the place... we have no control).  I thought he was going to barf all over the steering wheel on our way home with all of his groaning. We also listened to some Maylene & the Sons of Disaster in honor of our baby Maylene who we'd be meeting the next day.  

When we got home I was pretty pooped and my legs and feet were seriously swollen. I had crazy tree trunk kankles and fat sausages for toes. Clay gave me a little massage, and I fell asleep on the couch for a little bit.  When I woke up Clay gave me a blessing to prepare me for the next day and we prayed that the operation and everything would go smoothly. I tried to get sleep that night but it was too intense! My stomach had way too many butterflies to get a good night's rest. I probably got 4-5 hours that night. (little did I know that would be considered a good nights rest in another day or two)

We woke up around 7:30... and yes my stomach was still in knots! But once we started getting ready I calmed down and got more and more excited.  We took pictures of my last day pregnant and our last picture ever where it would be just to two of us! 




We left for the hospital around 9:20 and arrived a little before 10. I had a roller coaster of emotions that day, but at this point I was feeling really excited. We said another prayer before we got out of the car, and then we were off to have a baby! 


When we walked in we went over insurance info with a couple of ladies. After that I was taken into a room where I met my nurses, got changed into the hospital gear, and hooked up to an IV.  They did another ultrasound to make sure that everything looked good, and then explained what would be happening next. After this point everything seemed like a blur... one minute it was 10:30, and the next it was almost noon and I was heading into the operating room. Before I went in I got crazy nervous again and abnormally tired... I almost felt like I was going to pass out. I was being pretty much a psycho & I (jokingly) told Clay that I couldn't do this today and that I wanted to go back home and go to bed! haha. Anywho, I eventually got myself together and started walking to the operating room.  Clay & I walked together until we reached the door. He would have to wait outside until I had my epidural and was completely prepped for surgery. We kissed goodbye... and another blur of events occurred that felt like it went by in 2 seconds! I was nervous to go in on my own, but I guess being so tired helped me stay calm. 

I got in and they gave me the epidural... which I was really scared about. I've heard that's the most painful part, but I guess I was expecting the worst so to me it didn't feel that bad.  Instantly I started feeling like jelly and they layed me down and put the curtain up so I couldn't see anything. All I know is I was feeling weird with no pants on and a giant dome light on my nakedness..... awkward.....!  My doctor started pressing on me and asked if I felt anything. I told him no, and then Clay walked in.  Apparently right when Clay walked through the door my Doctor already made the incision, but I had no clue what was going on.  I thought he was still poking me or something trying to get ready.  I saw Clay's face and was like..."what is he doing, has he started yet?" Clay smiled and was said, "yes you're already cut open." I then felt some pushing near my rib cage and a little pulling, but I heard them say "here's the butt!" and Clay's face was priceless. I couldn't tell what the heck was going on so the only thing I could do is watch Clay's face the whole time. One second later the baby was out and Clay was all smiles. He got a little teary eyed too.  I heard her cry instantly and it was such a crazy feeling. It didn't feel real. They cut the cord and showed her to me for just a second.  My first thought was that she looked like Clay, but I wasn't sure, I wanted to see more of her! They had to take her away to be weighed and measured. But Clay was snapping away pictures in the mean time. He finally took her back to me and one of the nurses took our first family photo. 

Clay then took her to the recovery room while they finished sewing me back up.  Everyone also told me that this feels like hours, but honestly to me it went by pretty quick. I was still feeling like this was totally unreal, and I still felt really tired, so it seemed to go by pretty fast. They finally wheeled me back in to see Clay and our new daughter.  It was so exciting and special to see Clay holding her. They immediately gave her to me to have some "skin to skin contact," but I remember wishing I could stare at her little face, I still hadn't gotten a good look at her, and with her laying on me I could only see her back. It was still fun to cuddle my new baby though. 

A few minutes later they told me to start breastfeeding. I had been kinda nervous about this but when the time came it felt pretty natural. We stayed in the recovery room for about an hour and a half until we could go into another room that I'd be staying in and where people could come visit! I enjoyed that time with just Clay and I meeting our new addition.

Her first visitors were my mom, Kacie, Amy, Tamra, & Niki. They were all waiting outside until we got out of recovery.  It was so exciting showing off our baby and watching people meet her for the first time.  We had so many other visitors that day!  It felt like one after the other came until the evening time.  I didn't mind though, we were having fun.  
I honestly really enjoyed the rest of our hospital experience. I know a lot of people just want to get out of there asap, but I kinda liked it.  Maybe it was the bed... so comfortable and helped me out so much with getting up and down after surgery.  I also enjoyed the room service and the cable. :)

We stayed in the hospital for 3 days.  My recovery was a lot better than I was expecting. I was moving around really quick and went on quite a few walks around the hospital to speed up the healing process. Our little May was quite the turd at night though! Her days and nights were mixed up, so she slept pretty much all day long but was ready to be awake and cry a lot at night. We should have sent her to the nursery so that we could get some sleep, but we were too excited about our new little baby! I didn't want to send her away.  I pulled her little bed right next to mine so I could just stare at her and see her right when I opened my eyes.  I fell in love with her more and more every hour it felt like!  Being there at the hospital was just fun. Sometimes I even missed it when we actually got home and real life hit. No room service. No nurse to bring me whatever I wanted. Clay went back to work, my mom went back home from helping me... I wanted the spoiling back from the hospital! 

So overall her birth was a great experience. The c-section was much better than I thought it would be. I pretty much got to walk in and have a baby! With so many family and friends there to support us and meet Maylene, and all of the awesome nurses and my doctor, it was a great day and a great week. We couldn't have been more happy or asked for a better experience!

No comments: